WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE PURE 150 - DOS...
The PURE 150 - #2 – February 17, 2018, is where four, 38+-mile laps are featured. The course, according to Race Director, Alan Bell, will have new trails, some that have not been used in years, and the racecourse will be more centrally located to the start and finish at the Alta Vista Ranch. It will be nice for crews and spectators to enjoy. In addition, a new format will be introduced; the race is set to start at NOON on Saturday!
Note that as a requirement to vie for the 2018 points championships, racers must compete in at least four of the seven events on tap, and the best six finishers out of the seven events actually count for the points Overall and Class titles.
Moreover, this year, there is a “TRIPLE CROWN” in the mix. AVE/BP Racing and the BEST IN THE WEST SERIES will be making an announcement soon, where three events in the series, including one of the night races, will pay Triple Crown points and champions will be awarded accordingly, in the middle of the BEST IN THE WEST series. Stay tuned for that announcement and its details from race promoter, Lou Peralta.
Now for additional info:
We don't rest on our laurels...
Get ready for another PURE "150" this time using four (4)-38.7 mile laps (Brand new course.).
We are also going to try something different:
NOTE: All entries must be in by the Friday before the event (February 16) by 6 p.m. (NO REGISTRATION OR TECH ON FRIDAY EVENING.)
However, on Saturday, Feb 17 (race day)...
Check-in from 7 a.m. until 9 a.m. (Sign docs and pick up wristbands)
2. Tech from 7 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. at S/F
3. Late Entry from 7 a.m. until 9 a.m. (At Registration - Add $100 Late fee.)
4. Pick up "trackers" at 10:00 a.m.
5. Mandatory Driver's meeting at 11:00 a.m.
6. Staging at 11:30 a.m.
7. Close staging at 11:50 a.m.
8. First vehicle off the line at12:00 p.m. (NOON)!!!
9. Unofficial awards after the last car has finished.
IN OTHER WORDS: Some of you who have pre-registered can show up early Saturday morning (race day) and pick up your paperwork, get checked-in and get your Tech sheet, and have your vehicle tech'ed before the start of the event. ALL IN ONE DAY. Some have asked for that so we will try it.
NOTE: There is still pre-running scheduled for:
- On the weekend before the race,
2. Friday before Saturday's race -- Pre-run all day until 5 p.m.
3. Free parking all weekend at the ALTA VISTA RANCH for Racers, Crews & Family. (Please keep your area clean.)
Who loves you, baby???
MORE INFORMATION THAN YOU CAN HANDLE...
P.O. Box 2141, Cal-City, CA 93504
Feb 2, 2018
WE THOUGHT WE COULD NOT TOP OURSELVES…BUT WE DID!
California City, CA – February 2, 2018 – Well we did it and now it is time to toot our horn, blow the trumpets, scream at the moon. We have come up a great course for our second PURE UTV OFF-ROAD DESERT race, the second race in the BEST IN THE WEST PURE UTV Series, February 14, 2018, starting at 12 Noon!
The PURE 150 is a 150-mile, four-lap race, which consists of a 38.8-mile lap, going around it four times. If you want to take your shoes off to count, do not bother because that is 155.2-miles of probably the best course we’ve ever laid out! You thought last month’s course was terrific, well; wait until to traverse this next course. It is going to knock your socks off, curl your ears, and make your nose run. It really has just about everything you’d want on a racecourse, except maybe a “beach run” (but, hey, we are still trying to work on that here in Cal-City).
Race director Alan Bell and I whet around today it this afternoon and we had a blast. As always usually the first 2 or 3 miles are a bit rough specially, as are the last three or four miles, especially when we get out the ranch and come back in. This means that you will have to renegotiate a few hills, some sandy, nasty washes, and few rocky, slow sections.
However, there are fast and excellent trails that we are using for the first time in a long time. We think that you are going to love them. While driving the course I got excited just to see the beautiful terrain the great open desert, especially when we got to the top of a hill and witnessed the incredible panorama, especially the vastness of our Mojave Desert. One thing I can tell you is that you are going to have fun.
On the other hand, if you don’t have fun, then you may be in the wrong sport. Maybe trade in that UTV for a nice comfy golf cart.
We are rating the course at this point in time as a 5.8 the rate of difficulty. Rating of 10 is like driving on a freeway and rating of "1" is almost impassable.
Still the 5.8 is going to be challenging at times and at times, it can be a lot of fun and fast. Always, always be careful because of the open desert status , which means that our deserts are open to everyone – not only for the people who live out here in the desert but also for people who come into our area to visit for the weekend. So please, please be very careful.
For this second event of the series, we’re trying something different. Some of you have asked if we can start the race a little later thus allowing people to show up on race morning to do the checking-in and Tech'ing, picking up transponders, and then attending the drivers’ meeting before you start the race--all in one day. We’re going to do that this time as we have planned to start the race at 12:00 PM.
However, it is important that your entry must be paid-in-full no later than Friday, February 16 by 6:00 PM, then, you can be added to the drawing for starting order.
In other words on Saturday all you have to do is sign the proper documents get your wristband have your vehicle tech’ed, pick up your transponder, attend the mandatory drivers’ meeting and get ready to start the race and 12 Noon.
Here is the schedule for the week before and race weekend, including Saturday, February 17, 2018:
- Pre-running opens the weekend before the race, for all those who have entered the race and paid the entry in full.
- The “kml” file along with the link to convert the file to your GPS needs will be sent to all who have entered the event.
- Pre-running starts on Friday from 12 Noon until 6 p.m., all day Saturday and on Sunday until 5 p.m.
- On Friday, before the event, pre-running starts at Noon until 6 p.m.
- DRAWING FOR STARTING POSITIONS WILL TAKE PLACE FRIDAY NIGHT AT 7 P.M. AND IT WILL BE STREAMED LIVE. Starting order will be posted at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning.
- On Saturday (race day) Registration & Tech opens at 7 a.m. until 10 a.m.
- Late Registration opens from 7 am until 10 a.m.
- Pick up Transponders from 10 a.m. until 11 a.m.
- Mandatory Driver’s/Navigator’s Meeting 11 a.m.
- Staging according to starting order 11:40 a.m.
- Staging closes at 11:50 a.m.
- Race starts 12 Noon, one vehicle every 30-seconds
- Race is four (4) laps. First vehicle to complete all four laps gets the checkered flag and every vehicle thereafter also gets the checkered flag, no matter how many laps it may have completed.
- Awards at 5 p.m. (approx.)
For more details, visit our website: www.averacing.com
Information about the course AND OTHER:
- Rating 5.8 of difficulty
- 38.8 miles per lap
- Marked on the “kml” file will be mileages, plus warnings and one full stop. Make sure you download all that information
- When pre-running it is advisable for you and your Navigator to make your own annotations that will help you during the race.
- Do not rely on any notes other than your own when racing.
- There will be NO ROUNDING OF CORNERS or cutting of the course. We have been lenient but for this race, when we see that you re rounding the course you will receive a 2-MINUTE PENALTY!
- If you leave the course and do not return to the exact spot where you left the course in error, you will receive a 5 MINUTE PENALTY!
- Being off-course may get you a forfeit of a lap or disqualification!
- We are getting “heat” from authorities when we do not stay on “Unmaintained County” roads. Please obey the rules or it will cost you.
- Anyone who forget to return the transponder, even if you broke down somewhere on the course and you just want to forget the whole weekend, you must return the transponder. If you fail to do so it will cost you, $300.00 and you may be suspended or banned from racing. We have lost several transponders last year and we are out of pocket over a grand. We MUST ENFORCE THIS RULE!
- You are welcome to stay for the weekend at Alta Vista Ranch at no charge for those who are participating and pitting for the racer. However, others must pay $10.00 per vehicle per day.
- Please take more out than what you brought in. Help us keep the ranch clean.
- Fires are allowed overnight in a fire pit and nowhere else. There are plenty of rocks around that you can make your own fire pit. When you leave, or go to sleep, please douse the fire.
Bring these instructions with you to the Drivers/Navigators meeting. You will be tested by Mrs. Peralta. Moreover, she doesn’t grade on a curve! Hahaha.
See you all soon.
Any late developments are covered at the Drivers/Navigators meeting on Race Day.